Monday, March 24, 2014

Killin' it with Kelly Campbell

So a few weeks ago I took a 3 hour seminar with a top female Krav Maga instructor named Kelly Campbell through Krav Maga OC.  WOW!  First of all, I have never been to any kind of martial arts or fitness seminar, so I had NO idea what to expect.  I thought it would be more watching with some participation.  WRONG.  From the minute we got there, until the minute we left, we were working!  Myownself was SPENT, I tell ya!  I went through 7 bottles of water and 2 towels.  Ooof.  Not used to that!  But I learned some great stuff!  My neck was sore from practicing choke escapes, my knuckles hurt from pounding on everything, my makeup was stinging my eyes and I think I could have devoured an entire cow after I got home.  I've read about students testing for 6 to 8 hours when going for a new belt and that just seems impossible to me.  I know that some day some day, I will be ready for that, but right now I might as well take a test on how well I fly like Superman because success would be equally as likely.

There was also a great turnout!  A ton of enthusiastic students and a lot of talent in the room.  I tried to fit in the best I could as an out of shape beginner. I did see a couple of guys laughing at me trying to straddle a pad and punch it with my fists, but you know, I was laughing too because it was truly a sight to see.  Need to work on that one, I have short legs.  But for the most part, it was fun and totally worth my time.  I saw a lot of familiar faces and met some new ones, too.  I've made some friends already in Krav and that has turned out to be one of the many perks of starting this new adventure.  I leave you a picture of the event:  I am in the lower right front with the blond(ish) ponytail.  Yeah, it looks like I'm eating a sandwich.  Apparently I need to work on my boxing stance, too.  LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment