Friday, February 21, 2014

No Excuses!

Getting old has it's challenges.  It seems like after I turned 40 that no matter what I did the day before, whether it was cleaning out the garage, lifting weights, going to Krav Maga or laying on the couch all day watching TV, my body HURTS!  I've got a sore neck, sore legs, sore arms or something is aching or just not feeing quite right.  It is downright annoying!  I feel like I am constantly taking Aleve or Tylenol or something to sooth the pain.  Now it's true I suffer from a little bit of arthritis in my back due to major surgery last year and being overweight causes my body to have to work a little harder at things, but I am NOT going to let this slow me down.  I have spoken with the doctor and he is all for me getting stronger, getting leaner and pushing my body in to better shape - I just have to make sure I rest properly.  At least 8 hours of sleep, LOTS of water and ice/heat when I have a minor injury like shin splints or muscle sprains. (And I have those a LOT!)  But I'm NOT giving up!  It may take me a little longer to perfect a move or little more work than the average person to keep up in class, but dang it, I'm there!  I'm doing it!

This time last year I was 70 pounds heavier.  My heart was weaker.  My cholesterol was 100 points higher and I was suffering from a herniated disc in my lower back with a bone fragment lodged in my left sciatic nerve.  My dad passed away in 2007 at age 65 from congestive heart failure.  In 2008 both my grandparents passed away within months of each other.  In 2009 my husband of 16 years left me for a younger woman.  In 2010 I left everything behind in Seattle to start a new life in California.  In 2013 my mom passed away from lung cancer at age 66. All of this is enough to take a person down to the pits of depression and anxiety, let me you, but with the help of God and that place way deep down inside that was screaming for me to GET UP and keep going, I did it!  I OVERCAME.

It has taken an incredible amount of work, and yes, I still have a long way to go health and weight-wise, but no one said this would be easy.  Consistency is the hardest thing for me.  I have good days and bad days, for sure, and setbacks just like everyone else, but at the end of the day I can look back and see my progress and it motivates me to keep going.  I know my family would be proud of me and I know they are cheering me on every day! When I tell people about what I'm doing in Krav Maga class, I get a lot of raised eyebrows and shaking of heads. "You're crazy!" they say with a smile on their face.  But no matter what has happened in your life, no matter how unhealthy you are and no matter what obstacles you have in front of you, you CAN do it.  It CAN be done. It doesn't matter how long it takes.  It doesn't matter how many people are better at it than you or faster at it. Who cares if you get the "what are you doing here?"  look. Just don't stop.  Don't give up.  Nope, it's not easy - in fact, the only easy day was yesterday!  NO EXCUSES.

No comments:

Post a Comment